Temporary Resident Permit

Rameh Law > Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Resident Permit

If you wish to gain entry into Canada (either as a visitor, international student, for business purposes, or foreign worker), you must meet the requirements of Canada’s immigration regulations and laws. Whether you enter the country on a permanent or temporary basis, you must meet admissibility criteria, especially concerning security and health.

If the government has deemed you inadmissible to Canada, you may apply for a TRP (temporary residency permit), and if successful, you overcome your inadmissibility and gain access to the country temporarily.

IRCC can declare a foreign national inadmissible to Canada on the following grounds:

  • Medical Inadmissibility
  • Criminal Inadmissibility
  • Misrepresentation
  • Security Risk
  • Committed international or human rights violations
  • Organized Crime (or links to it)

A TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) may be granted to a foreigner, at IRCC’s discretion. A TRP permits an applicant (who would otherwise not be eligible to enter Canada because of health issues, misrepresentation, or criminality) to gain access to Canada, where the individual has compelling reasons. If granted, a TRP can remain effective for as short as a few days up to at most three years.

A TRP has no time limitations in its application. It can be issued at any time, unlike criminal rehabilitation, which is subject to a specific period regarding the completion of the court punishment. In some exceptional cases, you can obtain a TRP even if you’re still serving a portion of your sentence.

In determining whether to grant a TRP, an Immigration Visa Officer will weigh the inadmissible applicant’s reasons for entering or remaining in Canada against the country’s residents’ security and health risks.

While a TRP can allow you to live in Canada for up to a maximum of three years, you may apply for an extension while still in the country. Your TRP won’t be valid anymore if you choose to exit Canada unless the government has authorized your re-entry.

An immigration official can cancel your temporary resident permit at any time. However, it’s possible to apply and get a Permanent Residency Permit if you are currently living in Canada on a temporary residency permit.

To apply for a Temporary Residency Permit, you must submit your application with strong supporting evidence explaining the reasons for your inadmissibility. It would be best if you aimed at showing why your access to Canada could be justified. If you’re a TRP applicant from a visa-exempt nation, you must apply according to your country’s specific guidelines because the application form may differ significantly.