Study in Canada

Rameh Law > Study in Canada

Study in Canada

A person looking to immigrate to Canada and obtain a permanent residence (PR) permit may follow the route of completing a certificate, diploma, or degree in Canada then apply for a PGWP (postgraduate work permit) for a year.

Because not all DLS (Designated Learning Institutions) are eligible for PGWP, it’s good to choose your school and study program keenly. If, for example, you come to Canada and join a private academic institution whose programs don’t qualify you for a PGWP, you will not be eligible to get a Canadian work permit. Worse still, your accompanying spouse or common-law partner will not qualify for an open work permit during the period when you will be pursuing your study course.

Study visa/study permit

A foreigner can only apply and get a student visa if a DLI in Canada has enrolled them in one of their programs.

The foreign national looking to acquire a student visa needs to submit their application at the Canadian visa office that handles immigration issues involving their country of residence.

Eligibility criteria for a Canadian study permit

If you’re applying for a study visa in Canada, you  must prove that:

  • You have been accepted into a Canadian DLI
  • You have enough money to pay you for:
  • the tuition fees
  • their own living expenses
  • the living expenses of a spouse or common-law partner or a dependent child they will be bringing along in Canada
  • their own return transportation
  • any of the accompanying family members return transportation
  • You have no criminal record, and you are unlikely to be the security threats to Canada
  • You’re not a public health threat-you may need to undergo some necessary medical examinations

NOTE: Unless your application for an extension of your study permit is accepted, you must satisfy IRCC that won’t refuse to leave Canada after completing your studies.

PGWP-post-graduation work permits

An international student can apply for PGWP after finishing their post-secondary studies in Canada. The postgraduate work permit allows you to acquire a three-year OWP (open work permit) without the need for a Canadian job offer or a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment.

Moreover, a postgraduate foreign student with a substantial work experience in Canada may qualify to apply for PR under the CEC (Canadian Experience Class).

Working while studying

An international student pursuing a full-time academic program in Canada may work off-campus or on-campus or even without a work permit. However, the person may be required to fulfill some conditions depending on the study program, the institution, and the work location.

Bringing the family to Canada

Your common-law partner, spouse, or dependent child can accompany me to Canada and stay in the country for the entire period of your academic program. Besides, the student visa can entitle the person you are in a spousal relationship with to obtain an OWP (open work permit), enabling them to work for any employer in Canada while you study.

Permanent residency

If your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score points aren’t enough to qualify you for a permanent resident, a student visa can be your best alternative route to gaining PR.

If you enroll in a 2-year full-time university or college program, you may qualify to work on-campus or off-campus, either full-time or part-time. You will ordinarily be eligible for a full-time job when school is on normal recess (for example, during winter, summer, or spring breaks). When school is on, you can work for at least 20 hours a week (part-time).

Your minor children can accompany you to Canada and join a public learning institution. In case you marry a Canadian citizen and bear children in Canada, they automatically become Canadian citizens.

After finishing your study program in Canada, you can submit your application for a work permit (which normally lasts for three years, if granted).

There are many alternatives to apply for Canadian permanent residency for foreigners who chose to come to Canada primarily for studies. If you are a graduate from a Canadian DLI, your spouse may also qualify for permanent resident via PNP (Provincial Nominee Programs). In Manitoba, your spouse can apply for PR after work in a skilled job for at least 180 days. In Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and New Brunswick,  you can do so after 12 months.

An international student can submit their PR application after graduation if they have accumulated enough Comprehensive Ranking Score points. Alternatively, they can choose to work for 12 months and apply for Permanent Resident under the Canadian Experience Class or one of the PNP programs. The study route to gaining Canadian PR is advantageous as it entitles you to extra points for:

  • graduating from a designated learning institution in Canada (15 to 30 points)
  • having a work experience in Canada after graduating or the on-compass or off-campus work that you may have done (35 28 points)
  • having secured skilled work in Canada (50 points)

Financial requirements

The Canadian government wants to ensure that you can sustain yourself financially while in the country on a study permit. Thus, you need to have:

  • At least 30000 Canadian dollars for your tuition fees (one person) annually and 10000 Canadian dollars to pay for living expenses while in Canada.
  • At least 30000 Canadian dollars for an extra family member you bring along to Canada

N.B: A family member can write a letter showing the intention to sponsor your stay in Canada if you lack enough funds to sustain yourself. The person intending to sponsor you financially during your study period in Canada must submit their financial documents to support your application for a student visa.

If you wish to migrate to Canada with your family, it is clear that studying is an excellent option to consider. Canadian School calendar ordinarily commences in September and January. However, stem courses at intervals of two months. You may choose to arrive in Canada 30 to 45 days before the commencement of your study program, and your family can come along.

Canada has many learning institutions to choose from. While some schools have IELTS 7, 6, or 5 as a precondition for international students’ admission, others offer English (Or French) language lessons first, then the diploma program.

Get in touch with us for help with applying for a student visa or more information about Canadian study permits.