Rameh Law > Misrepresentation


If you attempt to enter Canada using fraudulently acquired documents or offering false information to an immigration official, your application will be refused. Moreover, you’ll be barred from entering Canada for at least five years, besides you risk facing legal consequences.

Misrepresentation: how it happens

If you provide inaccurate, inconsistent, or incomplete information to CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) or the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada), you’ll be denied entry to Canada on the grounds of misrepresentation.

Misrepresentations cases can include:

  • Submitting non-genuine documents
  • Failure to state that another country had denied you a visa
  • Failure to mention family members
  • Using a false marriage to gain PR
  • Proclaiming work experience that you lack

The origins of the Misrepresented documents or information can be an applicant themselves, their family member, or their representatives. However, the applicant is liable for it even if they didn’t know about it.

Overcoming misrepresentation inadmissibility to Canada

If an applicant is facing misrepresentation accusations, they may use the following options:

  • Trying to mitigate your circumstances by being remorseful and honest.
  • If you believe you didn’t commit the misrepresentation allegations, you can submit convincing documents to stop the consequence.
  • Challenge the IRCC or CBSA’s decision to the Judicial Review (Federal Court)
  • Submit your application for  Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)
  • Request for IRCC’s Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)so you can be in Canada for temporarily as you work on your case. TRPs typically last for not more than three years.
  • You may apply for immigration under the Humanitarian and Compassionate Canada (H&C) program.

However, there’s no assurance you’ll succeed in any of the above alternatives. If you face criminal charges because of the misrepresentation, you might need to get in touch with a reputable attorney.

If five years have passed from your misrepresentation inadmissibility to Canada, you are eligible to re-apply for Canadian immigration. However, expect the IRCC’s officials to scrutinize your application documents.