Starting Your Own Company in Canada

Rameh Law > Latest in Canadian Immigration > Canadian Immigration > Starting Your Own Company in Canada

Are you considering starting your own company in Canada? It’s essential to secure a visa for entry and residency in the country. Starting a business in a new country comes with a vast number of steps. If you have already developed a business in your own country and looking for an opportunity to expand abroad, Canada is an ideal place for such ventures. Read below for more information.

Starting a Business through Immigration

If you wish to open a business in Canada and also wish to live in Canada, it’s only natural that you need a visa to enter and remain in Canada. In order to do so, you must apply to come as a business immigrant. There are two options to enter Canada as a business immigrant:

  • Start-Up Visa
  • Self-Employed Persons Program

Start-Up Visa Program

In order to be eligible for the Start-Up Visa Program, entrepreneurs must be accepted into the program offered by a corresponding Canadian business incubator, who goes through an application process by a specialised organisation.

To be eligible for the Start-up Visa Program, you must:

  • have a qualifying business
  • get a letter of support from a designated organization
  • meet the language requirements
  • bring enough money to settle

The program has minimum investment requirement (CAD 200,000 for a venture capital fund, and CAD 75,000 for a business angel). The minimum investment requirement does not apply to business incubators.

Our firm has partnered with highly qualified business and financial experts in order to provide high-quality assistance to foreign entrepreneurs with preparation of an application to a Canadian business incubator.

Self-Employed Persons Program

In order to come to Canada as a self-employed person, you must either:

  • have relevant experience in athletics or cultural activities and be able to contribute to the cultural or athletic life of Canada significantly, or
  • you must have experience in farm management and intend and be able to buy and manage a farm in Canada.

Factors such as education, age, adaptability and English or French proficiency will also be considered in your application to come live and work in Canada as a self-employed individual.

If you are a non-Canadian and wish to live and work in Canada to operate your business, then your only option is through immigration. If you wish to immigrate to Canada as a business immigrant, please contact our office for a consultation.