Permanent Residency and Family Sponsorship

Rameh Law > Latest in Canadian Immigration > Canadian Immigration > Permanent Residency and Family Sponsorship
Permanent Residency and Family Sponsorship

Permanent Residency and Family Sponsorship

Obtaining permanent residency and Family sponsorship in Canada gives you the right to enter and remain in Canada, the right to study and work in Canada as well as the right to apply for Canadian citizenship.

In order to become a permanent residence, one must apply to an officer for a visa, the officer must be satisfied that you are not inadmissible and meet the requirements of IRPA in order to obtain a PR.

If you are already a Permanent Resident or a Canadian citizen, you have the right to sponsor your spouse, common law partner, conjugal partner, parent or grandparent, or dependent children.

What is the right family class sponsorship for you?

There are different options when it comes to sponsoring a family member, talk to your immigration lawyer to understand which path is the best for your situation.

Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship

The parental sponsorship program follows a two-step process:

The Canadian sponsor has to be assessed for eligibility first, and if they meet the eligibility criteria, then parents or grandparents will be screened for their PR application. It is important to note that the immigration department has an annual cap on how many applications they can accept each year.

While applying to sponsor parents or grandparents, you can also apply for a super visa. The super visa allows your parents or grandparents to stay in Canada longer while you are going through the process of sponsorship or making lifestyle changes to become eligible as a sponsor. The super visa is valid for 2 years and can be renewed for up to 10 years. 

Spouse or Common-law Sponsorship

In order to sponsor your spouse, you must be entitled to sponsor. Meaning you are at least 18 years of age, reside in Canada and in some cases there is a minimum necessary income requirement.

You can sponsor your spouse, or common-law partner who is in Canada or outside of Canada. There is a significant difference between these applications and impacts the processing times as well as the outcome of your application. Contact an immigration lawyer to review the best options for your situation.

Dependent Children Sponsorship

Dependent child means a child who is a biological child of the parent and/or the adopted child of the parent. There are eligibility requirements that you as the sponsor must meet in order to qualify and sponsor your child. If you do meet the requirements, your child must also fulfill the eligibility requirements.

Rameh Law can assist you in applying for permanent residency and family sponsorship visas which may be an ideal solution for your situation. Please contact us for further information.