From Visas to Citizenship: Your Ultimate Immigration Law FAQs Explained

Rameh Law > Latest in Canadian Immigration > Canadian Immigration > From Visas to Citizenship: Your Ultimate Immigration Law FAQs Explained
Immigration Law FAQ

Do you need help moving to Canada? If you want to bring your family members to Canada, apply for refugee status, or a visa denial, you need to know the rules and process for immigration to Canada. This complete guide will shed light on your concerns and immigration law FAQs.

Can I sponsor my siblings to Canada?

Sponsor Siblings to Canada

According to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) yearly immigration levels plan, family sponsorship is one of the main ways people come to Canada.

As per the new immigration rules, you can’t bring your siblings to Canada. Other family sponsorship schemes are also available, like sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, or dependent children.

Can I sponsor my husband if his visitor visa expires and he’s still currently in Canada?

Spousal Sponsorship

If your husband’s visitor visa has expired and he is currently in Canada, you can sponsor your husband to Canada. It means that you are allowed to stay in Canada until and unless your husband’s sponsorship application is processed, even if his visitor visa has expired, provided he meets the eligibility criteria for sponsorship.

How long does it take for applications to process?

Canada Application Process
Application Process

The application process may depend on the type of application and the current workload of immigration authorities. You can also check the estimated processing times on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for specific categories.

Can I sponsor my fiancé?

Family Sponsorship
Family Sponsorship

Through the Family Class sponsorship program, you can sponsor your fiancé for immigration to Canada. However, to be eligible, you must fulfill specific standards and present evidence that you are in a genuine relationship.

My student visa is rejected, can I appeal it?

Student Visa Rejected

If you find that the decision to reject your student visa needs to be corrected, you can appeal the student visa rejection. You must carefully review the rejection letter you received from the immigration authorities, as it contains information on the appeals process. Get legal assistance from an immigration lawyer who is experienced in visa appeals. It can be beneficial for you to make the process smooth and increase your chance of success.

Why should I hire a lawyer and not a consultant?

Hire Lawyer

You should hire a lawyer because lawyers have specialized legal training and are regulated by professional bodies, which provides an added expertise layer. A lawyer can offer comprehensive legal advice compared to a consultant throughout your immigration process. Rameh Law is an immigration firm in Canada with a committed team of professionals striving to achieve our clients’ best results. Rameh Law provides strategic legal advice in all areas of immigration law. The members of our team have a wide range of experience in the legal field. Every file is handled with the utmost attention and professionalism to ensure our clients have a favorable experience when dealing with the legal area.

How long will it take for me to receive a hearing for my refugee case?

Refugee Case Hearing

The projected wait time for receiving a hearing for your refugee case is approximately 24 months. It’s essential to stay in touch with your legal representative for updates on your hearing schedule.

Can I judicial review my negative PRRA application?

Judicial Review of PRRA Application
Judicial Review of PRRA Application

If you have applied to a pre-removal risk assessment and the results are negative, you can seek judicial review through the Federal Court of Canada. The decision will be reviewed by a court to determine whether or not there was an error. It is possible to review the decision-making process to identify any legal flaws through judicial review. 

I got a negative decision for my refugee case, what do I do now?

Immigration Law FAQs
Refugee Case

If your refugee status claim is rejected, you must apply for a judicial review within fifteen days of receiving the notice of decision. If this procedure is complex, you should hire a lawyer because only one can represent you at the Federal Court of Canada.

I have refugee status in France, can I still apply for refugee status in Canada?

Immigration Law FAQs
Refugee Status

You will no longer be able to submit an application for refugee status in Canada if you have been granted citizenship in another country as a refugee because having refugee status in another country may impact your eligibility and the evaluation of your claim by the Canadian government.

My family is in Afghanistan, can I sponsor them privately through the group of five?

Immigration Law FAQs
Group of Five

Through the Group of Five sponsorship program, you can privately sponsor family members in Afghanistan if you meet the requirements and have the backing of other Canadian citizens or permanent residents. A group of five programs comprises at least five Canadian citizens or permanent residents who have agreed to help a refugee outside Canada. To make the funding process go smoothly, it’s best to get help from an immigration lawyer.

Do I have to be from Ontario to hire you as my lawyer?

Immigration Law FAQs
Rameh Law

No, you don’t have to be from Ontario to hire us as a lawyer, regardless of your location. You can contact us and inquire about our policies regarding outside Ontario.

Final Thoughts

Whether you are looking to reunite with family members, appeal a visa rejection, or secure protection as a refugee, having the proper support and guidance can make all the difference in achieving your immigration goals. With our commitment to excellence and personalized approach to client service, Rameh Law is here to guide you on your journey to a new beginning in Canada.